Our Family

Our Family
The Family

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A Tribute to my Mother!

These last few weeks have been kind of hard for me. I have been really emotional and I didn't understand why. I am only now writing about this because I finally realized what has been bothering me. Mother's Day has never really stood out to me like it did this year. Not sure why but memories of my mother have been prevalent and constant in my subconscious. Perhaps this is because it has been nearly ten years since her death. Or maybe the continuing questions from my children about her. Mia loves to ask when I do something a certain way if that is the way my mom used to do it. Almost as if she is telling me not to forget. This will almost instantly trigger a thought about my mom. So I have decided that it was time I shared a little bit about who my mother was and more importantly who she was to me in this simple but meaningful tribute to her in honor of mothers day! Which in my opinion is really everyday.



My mother was kind.
I have always said that when I grew up I wish to be just like my mom. I never felt more secure or happy or sure of who I was then when I was in her presence.
My mother was loving.
I knew my mom loved me in the way that she spoke and treated me.
My mother was a good listener.
 I was never afraid to speak my mind to her. She had a gift for making me feel heard and understood. I only hope to be the kind of listener she was. Quick memory about talking with my mom. I remember being particularly nervous about telling her that H.B. and I had been talking about marriage and I was afraid that she might think we were moving to fast. After I told her that I was really considering marrying him she could have said a million different things in that instance. After all I was her oldest and I was only 20 years old at the time. Her reaction made me feel the peace and reassurance that I always looked to from my mom. She was very serene and simply told me that if I felt that that was the correct course to take in my life then she would support me in any decision I made. She didn't ask why or how. I'm sure she had a million questions and probably had her own ideas of what I should be doing with me life but she never once questioned me about it. She simply supported me and I felt her love for me. I will never forget that experience.
My mother was cheerful.
This is something that I admired most of my mom. To be a happy person for the simple fact that you are alive and well is a true gift from God.
My mother was humble.
My mother was understanding.
My mother was generous.
My mother was caring.
My mother was a hard worker.
My mother was merciful.
My mother loved and respected her mother.
She would often tell me stories of how close she and her mother were. She loved spending time with her mom. I never met my grandmother. Well that's not entirely true. I did have a special moment with my grandmother. When I was was 13 years old I was baptized in behalf of my grandmother in the Atlanta, GA temple. After having done the work for my grandmother I distinctly remember feeling her presence and her love for me. I felt her happiness and joy. From that moment on I have felt a special connection to my grandmother Concepcion. It gives me great comfort to know that they are now together again.

The list could go on forever. Loosing my mom has been one of the most difficult trials of my life. I have often thought about what my life would be like now if she were still alive. The list I made says my mother was but the truth is that my Mother Is all those things and more. The light of the gospel helps me to know that I will see my mom again. She is still the same person I knew while she was in this life. She will always be that and so much more.....To my mother who will forever be ever present in my life. I could only hope to some day be just like you.

2 comments:

  1. Karen, this is beautiful. It is sacred. I'm sure your Mom enjoys very much how much you honor her. You AND your Mom are Royalty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be a very private person and in some ways I still am. I just felt that I needed to share with everyone a little bit of whom she was to me. I hope my girls will read this one day and feel they knew her too.

    ReplyDelete